I know many of you have sent in emails about the products that we use in our hair and I covered that in an older post a few months ago. Today I wanted to discuss 5 last-minute products you can purchase from a drugstore. Sometimes we travel a lot and are in dire need of last-minute product that is easily accessible. No matter where you go, you can always find a drugstore so here is a list of products that we have tested and stamped with our approval.
Curly hair is not as easy as one might think. Curls come in many different textures and not every product will work for you. Scout and I have tight curls resembling corkscrews which are a little kinky and tightly curled. The texture of the curls possess a fine texture so if we wanted, blow drying it straight wouldn’t be difficult. Below are a few products that we have tested and work for our hair type.
1. Twisted Sista– I randomly found this product in Duane Reade when I was traveling to Miami and my hair resembled someone who stuck their finger into a socket. I was desperate and the name of this product made me laugh. Surprisingly, it worked well for a drugstore product! Twisted Sista Curl Activator delivers volume, big bounce and soft frizz free curl definition. Formulated to block out the effects of troublesome humidity. Ideal for curly, kinky or wavy hair.
2. Dove Quench Absolute– Dove reached out to us and sent over a few products for us to try. Of course I was hesitant because I always assume that nothing will work on our hair. I can honestly say that I was wrong. The quench line is nourishing and hydrating. I specifically like the Quench Absolute Serum and the Intense Restore Mask.
3. John Freida Frizz-Ease Corrective styling gel– This is a great last-minute product especially if you’re trying to fight the frizz. It helps contain, control and protect hair from expanding plus it contains sunscreen to help protect hair from UV damage. I don’t recommend using it on a long-term basis because it tends to give your hair a very odd texture but it’s a great inexpensive product to get the job done.
4. Miss Jessie’s-We currently use these products daily! Sometimes I can find them at CVS or Target when I’m traveling which is a plus! They also create travel size products so you don’t get stuck throwing away the bottle in the TSA line. I use Multicultural curls in Scout’s hair since her texture is little finer than mine. It holds her ringlets perfectly leaving her hair shiny and full of volume. I use their Pillow Soft Curls on my hair which is slightly more expensive than the other formulas. I’m assuming that’s because of its popularity. I usually use more than one product when styling my curls, one for shine and the other for taming them. If I use pillow soft curls, I don’t have to use anything else! It really adds body to my curly q’s and I highly recommend it if your texture is similar to ours.
5. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Conditioner– This is an excellent conditioner for treating dry hair. This leaves your hair soft, smooth and manageable within minutes. I add some of this conditioner to a spray bottle, mix with water and use it as a leave-in-conditioner for Scout’s bed hair. It’s inexpensive and works like a charm.
Quick Note: Try ringing out the hair and adding styling products while you are still in the shower (do not towel dry yet). This will help eliminate frizz.
Hope some of these last-minute drugstore products work for you!
LS and Mommy