09 Jul 5 Tips To Starting a Blog
I have had a lot of questions about starting a blog and wanted to give you guys a few pointers. I started blogging a little over a year ago and have learned a lot in such a short amount of time! Here are a few tips to get your blog up and running in no time!
1. Pick a name and niche: I know this sounds ridiculous for me to tell you this but you need to pick a name that stands out since you will be using it constantly! Have a logo created that is simple yet recognizable when someone sees it. Get creative and think outside the box when it comes to your blog’s niche. Theres so many blogs out there that it is imperative that you stand out and be different.
2. Buy a domain and hosting. Once you decide on a blog name you should purchase a domain name. Depending on what site you go to, they’ll usually give you a free domain with the purchase of hosting. I recommend that you purchase hosting if you plan on creating a self hosted site. I used Go daddy as well as Domain.com.
3. WordPress: I highly recommend using a self hosted wordpress site so you don’t have to transfer over later down the road. WordPress has some pretty impressive templates that come equipped with all the bells and whistles you will be looking for. Try searching some of the themes here.
4. Creating your site: Most of us know nothing about coding. It seems scary and confusing if you never attempted web design before. Once you pick a WordPress theme, I suggest you hire someone to do all the coding for you. If you’re on a tight budget then try outsourcing the help and hire a wordpress designer from Elance or Upwork. I personally use Upwork all the time and love it. Just make sure you interview your favorite candidates so you get the right fit.
5. Imagery: Last but not least is imagery. You need some pretty fun and exciting content on a constant basis. iPhone photos are not going to cut it. I suggest investing in a quality camera to aid in your new blogging journey. If the thought of using a DSLR camera frightens you try using a mirrorless camera. I have to admit, I really want to get my hands on the new sony nex-7. You can also get some tips here if you’re interested in using a DSLR camera.
The hardest part about creating a blog is starting! I would love to know if any of you are interested in starting this digital journey so comment below with your blog name and I will check it out!
Thanks for stopping by.
LS and Sai