Get To Know Me

Many of you have been curious about how I started this blogging journey as well as my background. I wanted to publish more of a personal lifestyle post today to chat about who I am and what lead me to this career path. I like to be transparent, relatable and honest so let me take you to the beginning.

Who Are you?

For the last 2.5 years you have gotten to know me and my daughter through the screens of social media but how much do you really know? Often times, people make assumptions based on what they see on social platforms but most often it is far from the truth. I’m a content creator and carefully curate what I want others to see. I’m just like any other person with family issues, best friend arguments or parent struggles. I wasn’t raised wealthy and damn sure didn’t have a trust fund handed to me when I turned 21. I dropped out of college my junior year because I couldn’t afford it and I didn’t have a backup plan. I was originally born in LA, CA but raised in NYC. My mom moved to a different state every year but we always managed to circle right back to NY. We didn’t move around because she was in the military but because she just couldn’t sit still. Can you imagine changing schools and being the “new girl” every year? It was rough on me as I got older and it didn’t help that I went to really rough schools. I was teased and bullied for having curly hair or not dressing the part. At one point in my life I lived with my dad for a year in Florida and he rather die than buy me a pair of Jordans. His favorite stop for back-to-school shopping was Payless, Swap Shop Flea Market and the thrift store. I literally wanted to move out at the age of 13 and get a job so I could purchase my own clothes.

I was obsessed with fashion and it was my outlet to get away from the chaos in my life. I expressed myself through what I wore and at times I would sport combat boots and boyfriend shirts that I would find in my dads closet. I altered my clothes to make them work so no one would notice that I didn’t have sparkly new duds. I’ve always been creative, outspoken and tried to make friends easily. I was obsessed with Track and Field and began running when I was 8 years old. I conditioned and trained all year-long and would get away from the world when I stepped foot on the track. I stopped running when I graduated from high School and felt that 10 years was more than enough plus my knees were falling apart!

I moved out when I was 17 and hustled my way through life. Job after job, I hated them all and couldn’t find the right fit. When I turned 20 I was offered a small bartending job in the city and I took it immediately. I ended up having a million bartending jobs and quickly became involved in the fast-paced city life. I hung out with a new crew, traveled more and experienced a much more exciting life. I met new people gained new friends and experienced some of the most elaborate NYC parties and events that I could only dream of. I was young and literally having the time of my life but somehow the years flew by. I remember turning 28 and wanted more for myself, I wanted more stability in my life but didn’t know where to start.

I went on a girls trip to Costa Rica for ten days and had the time of my life. During the last day there I met my baby daddy. I remember being so cranky and bitchy that I hardly wanted to talk to him. He quickly gained my attention through his witty sense of humor and taste in old hip hop/ R&B lyrics. He’s Canadian so we began a long distance relationship which I loved because I’m a big fan of space between couples. We dated for a while before we were surprised with the news that we were expecting. I was in shock and not ready for a child at all. Most importantly, I wasn’t prepared to lose my identity to take on the new role of motherhood.

After I had Scout, I still wanted to be young and fun. I made sure we still went to popular restaurants and had fun nights out. I was determined to figure out a way that I can do both. I started an online accessory store by the name of Required Flare as well as a Social media company called Social Media Mall. I worked for myself but being a new mom with two companies became hard so I gave up my accessory line. I remember feeling as if I failed and felt defeated. I needed a creative outlet so I began to blog about children’s fashion and my daughter. I had no idea anyone would be remotely interested but 9 months later, a writer from Buzzfeed posted an article. Our site went viral which left me talking to Ellen DeGeneres and the Today Show on certain days. I was at a point in my life where I really had no idea what I was doing but I knew that I’m either going to sink or swim. I utilized everything I knew from my first business and created a beautiful blog and a successful pitch. The hours are nonstop and it takes a lot of dedication but if you can stick it out, the possibilities are endless!

I could go on for pages about who I am and how I have morphed into the person I am today because of my past but I’ll base that on how you feel about today’s post. If you would like to hear more, then leave me a comment below and I will update this post next week.

Thank you for taking the time to read and support my digital journey. My readers mean the world to me and you’re so appreciated!

xo,

Sai

38 Comments

1. January 17, 2017 / 11:47 AM

Please share more! I’m a new, and surprised lol, Mom going through that sink or swim moment. I’m in a different industry but hearing stories from other Moms who are doing it all inspire me and help me get through it. Thanks for your openness and honesty. I look forward to finding more inspiration from you!

• January 24, 2017 / 9:00 AM

Hi!

Thank you for reading and welcome to the blog. I totally get it, being a parent is a tough job but don’t let yourself sink!

xx.

Sai

2. January 17, 2017 / 12:18 PM

Awesome! Amazing story, and you’re so right about people believing you were wealthy when you started. I sure did. It’s cool to get to know the cool person behind this awesome site and to know that if you dream big, put in the work, anyone can make it.”The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: “Whenever we do something that fills us with enthusiasm, we are following our legend. However, we don’t all have the courage to confront our own dream. ”

Aspiring fashion designer: YouTube JKandCounting

• January 24, 2017 / 9:03 AM

HAHA! Everyone thought I was wealthy. Well surprise! I work very hard for everything that I have but it’s all worth it. Love the Alchemist, good read! Thanks so much for reading Krystal.

xx,

Sai

3. Mallika Boruah
    January 17, 2017 / 12:33 PM

Yes, please. Life is, the people you meet and get to know. What’s the point of being connected to everyone if you can’t get to know real people and their real lives. Clothes are just accessories of life.
    Very touched to read your story. You are one strong headed person and stubborn perhaps in the face of adversities. Hugs from Paris.

• January 24, 2017 / 11:30 AM

I completely agree! Thank you Mallika!

xx,

Sai

4. Carla P
    January 17, 2017 / 12:59 PM

Thank you for being transparent when you didn’t have to. I know it can be difficult to open up and tell your life story to complete strangers, but it truly allows us to connect more. I really enjoyed the post and keep up with the amazing content!

• January 24, 2017 / 11:31 AM

I think I was long overdue for a little transparency. So happy to share with such a great group of people!

XX,

Sai

5. January 17, 2017 / 1:02 PM

Hi! Thank you so much for letting us learn a little bit more about who you are. I also moved around a lot as a kid. I attended 12 different schools, was always he new girl and always wanted something more for myself. I recently started a new blog because I love writing, and I’m not a fan of my full-time job so this is my outlet. I hope writing leads the the success that it has led you to. You’re a really great writer and curator! If you can give me any suggestions On how to improve my blog I would be so happy! Thank you!

• January 24, 2017 / 11:34 AM

HI Mika! I feel your pain on moving around a lot but Now that your older, look back at it as a learning experience. Blogging is a great creative outlet one of my biggest words of advice is to be patient and believe in yourself. Write about things that matter to you and would make an impact on others.

xx,

Sai

6. January 17, 2017 / 1:11 PM

Sai,

Thanks for sharing. You and I have met many times. You have always been inspiring to me – your style and your feed are perfection. I had no idea how you got started and especially how much I can personally relate to your story. I identify with your ambition and your entrepreneurial spirit and the concept of taking what you learn from each experience and applying it to the next venture. Kudos to you!

7. Natalia Podvalny
    January 17, 2017 / 1:12 PM

Love your post and how you became a blogger. Would love to hear more. Thank you for sharing your journey!

8. Elise Mak
    January 17, 2017 / 1:25 PM

Hi Sai!

I appreciate vulnerability in anyone. I enjoyed reading this post. As you said — it’s very easy to see people’s lives through social screens and to forget that they are real people with real struggles. It always seems like everything comes so easy for everyone else and we forget that everyone started somewhere. I am currently working on my new blog and am feeling very hopeful about it. I started one last year, not knowing what I was doing at all, and felt very disconnected from it. I couldn’t even begin to tell you why. I am launching my new blog, Blazers and Bralettes, at the end of January/beginning of February. I can relate to your feeling of wanting more for yourself and feeling stable in your creativity. I am currently working a marketing job that I am good at but not in love with. I am really hoping to change my life with my new blog! Fingers crossed! I find myself really connecting to you and London because I LOVE that you and her both embrace your curls and your natural looks. I am half black, half middle eastern and struggled with that growing up because where I grew up, I was very different than the other girls in my school. I was too black for the white girls and too white for the black girls. I appreciate the way you build London up to love herself for exactly who she is — she’s the cutest!

Thank you for your personal post! Keep them coming. It’s helpful as a new blogger to read this kind of stuff.

xo Elise Mak

9. Lama El Saloussi
    January 17, 2017 / 1:34 PM

You’re so inspiring those were the exact words I needed to read..I’m a recent mom and struggling to start my own thing..and your post just helped

10. Maria fernandes
    January 17, 2017 / 2:11 PM

That’s awesome and I wish you and your family much success.

My daughter loves seeing your daughters face every time we go to Target.

11. Lily
    January 17, 2017 / 2:46 PM

This is great. I follow you a lot and love everything you do. Thanks for sharing, would love to hear more. 🙂

12. Tamara
    January 17, 2017 / 2:47 PM

You have no idea how long I’ve been waiting for you to give some insight on your background. I’ve been following you for several months now on YouTube and Instagram and you are so inspiring! All the best to you and your babies. Please feel free to provide us with more on your background when you’re ready.

13. Tiffany Bailey
    January 17, 2017 / 3:27 PM

Thank you for this post! It was nice to hear about your down to earth background and to read that you didn’t come from a wealthy, privileged life (not that there is anything wrong with that). It made me feel as if I can relate to you more. You and your daughter have quickly become some of my style inspirations (I have a 2 year old and I love seeing the outfits you pick out for your daughter). I look forward to reading/seeing your blog and instagram posts. Thanks so much for sharing!

14. Ericka Dean
    January 17, 2017 / 5:09 PM

Love your transparency! Would definitely love to hear more 🙂

15. Catherine Almonte
    January 17, 2017 / 5:21 PM

I’ve been following you two from the very start. What attracted me at first was the hair as I also have an unruly curly fro. The fashion and the fun throughout the years have kept me hooked but hearing about your journey only strengthens my obsession with you two. It’s always beautiful to find people you can relate with who are pursuing their passions with great success. You are one of my role models and I hope there are may more years of ScoutTheCity to come.

16. January 17, 2017 / 6:44 PM

appreciate you sharing your story. without the background it’s easy to make assumptions about a person — especially an influencer — based on the highlights you see. with the fuller story you understand that everyone’s journey is different and many are putting in hard work to create they envision. looking foreword to more and congratulations on your (and your little one’s) success!

17. SB Matthews
    January 17, 2017 / 8:00 PM

Thank you for sharing. I really enjoy the both of you. But most of all kudos to you for talking about yourself, your life and your background. It is not easy; yet it can be a deep sigh for the soul.

18. January 17, 2017 / 9:23 PM

Ok, this is your unique gift you bring to all of us out here in digital land.
    I encourage you to add more of your story and truth to an already built up audience.
    Tell us more of your story growing up, maybe some of the more painful parts that helped shape you as a mother.
    Love to you.

Hugs and Kisses.
    Melissa Lee

19. Ebenezer
    January 17, 2017 / 11:01 PM

Im obsessed seeing you and your daughter on Instagram. This blog is great and helped me relate to your work on social media with you. It kinda give your followers a chance to know you. Your are so beautiful. I love your curls.

20. January 17, 2017 / 11:58 PM

Wow! I surely can relate to always being creative and not ever being satisfied with a nine-to-five. Not having the latest, or most fashionable clothes…lol! I would love to hear more about your journey, I’m already inspired. Ken

21. Joiia
    January 18, 2017 / 1:04 AM

Ugh. Amazing. I’m giving you a mental standing ovation and a hug right now! Thanks for sharing😂

22. A.Lawren
    January 18, 2017 / 11:48 AM

Thanks for being open and honest! I’m 28 and I can completely relate to wanting more out of your life. I think you strike the right balance between letting us (your readers) in and keeping what matters most private. Kudos to you and I look forward to reading more!

23. Shania M.
    January 19, 2017 / 12:30 AM

Thank you for sharing! Please do an update!! It would be so cool if you did a post about your tattoos; I love the ones that I have seen!

24. January 19, 2017 / 6:23 AM

Wow, I’m a new reader but I really love this insight…it’s so lovely to see ‘real’ life insight posts! Frankie x
    joieandthevivre.com

25. Adenike Akinyele
    January 19, 2017 / 9:13 AM

Thanks Sai for sharing. I came to know about you via you tube. I’ve always wondered about your past and who you really are. Its a bit nosey, but it also creates a connection. Your daughter is adorable and I love your mum daughter bond. As a mum of two girls I find your you tube videos inspiring. I pray you continually grow and more success.

26. Booboo
    January 19, 2017 / 10:12 AM

Yes please continue to share your story….I’m at a point in my life where I’m tired of depending on people to help me through life and I have write down some plans for me and my two girls and I love to be inspired by others

27. January 20, 2017 / 8:18 PM

Wow…God bless you

28. January 25, 2017 / 1:51 AM

Thank you for being you and sharing! As a mama of three I appreciate hearing your journey through business mixed with motherhood.

29. MR
    January 27, 2017 / 1:10 PM

AMAZING post! Thank you for being so open and honest, it was truly refreshing to read and so inspirational!! I started to follow you via IG, then found your blog and YouTube channel. You motivate me as a fellow mother (of a 1 yr old son). I wish continued success for you and you daughter!

30. Q Lationia
    January 28, 2017 / 9:30 AM

Hi,
    Are your photos posted on stock photo sites like Unsplashed permitted for use?

31. February 7, 2017 / 10:45 AM

So inspiring! Thank you for sharing your history and I can’t wait to read more posts like this! Looking through social media and gorgeous outfit posts makes it hard to realize that beyond that there is actually struggles and a beautiful journey. I admire you much more now!